—African proverb (via girlmoss)
I envy literally everyone who is talented at anything
The Codex Gigas
The Codex Gigas (or ‘Giant Book”) is also known as “The Devil’s Bible.” A curious illustration of Lucifer gives the tome its nickname.
The 13th-century manuscript is thought to have been created solely by a Herman the Recluse, a monk of the Benedictine monastery of Podlažice near Chrudim in Czech Republic. The calligraphy style is amazingly uniform throughout, believed to have taken 25 to 30 years of work. There are no notable mistakes or omissions. Pigment analysis revealed the ink to be consistent throughout. The book is enormous - it measures 36.2” tall, 19.3” wide, and 8.6” thick; it weighs approximately 165 pounds. There are 310 vellum leaves (620 pages). The leaves are bound in a wooden folder covered with leather and ornate metal.
The manuscript is elaborately illuminated in red, blue, yellow, green and gold. The entire document is written in Latin, and also contains Hebrew, Greek, and Slavic Cyrillic and Glagolitic alphabets. The first part of the text includes the Vulgate version of the Bible. Between the Old and New Testaments are Josephus' Antiquities of the Jews and De bello iudaico, as well as Isidore of Seville's encyclopedia Etymologiae and medical works of Hippocrates, Theophilus, Philaretus, and Constantinus. Following a blank page, the New Testament commences.
Beginning the second part is a depiction of the devil. Directly opposite is a full picture of the kingdom of heaven, juxtaposing the “good versus evil.” The second half, following the picture of the devil, is Cosmas of Prague's Chronicle of Bohemia. A list of brothers in the Podlažice monastery and a calendar with necrologium, magic formulae and other local records round out the codex. Record entries end in the year 1229CE.
In 1648 at the end of the Thirty Years’ War, the Swedish army invaded Prague and the Codex was stolen as plunder. It is now held at the National Library of Sweden in Stockholm. For more information, check out this short National Geographic documentary and/or flip through this digital copy.
( Wikipedia entry, et. al)
Several short National Geographic videos ~
** If you have the least amount of intellectual curiosity or interest in history, the short vids above will only whet your appetite: might as well grab a cold drink & some popcorn, then settle in to watch the whole thing ~
The Every Occasion Card
Have a shitty motherfucking baby
Thanks for the shitty ass gift
Helpful Guides from vegan.com
- Ultimate Vegan Guide, by Erik Marcus (free online first edition)
- Answering Common Vegan Questions
- Farm Animal Sanctuaries
- Guide to Being Vegan in College
- Vegan Festival & Event Guide
- Vegan Makeup Guide
- Vegan Wedding Guide
- Vegan Subscription Box Guide
J ESUS TAKE THE WHEEL IM SO GAY
that transformation is too cool. even like the “after” version better. very cool.
WHO IS THIS
shes so hot
Good Guy Burglar
no you don’t understand.
he fully knew that he’d be arrested for breaking and entering but he still reported this.
he know he’d go to jail, but he put human decency before his own freedom and called out this disgusting sexual perversion.
and if you don’t think that’s the tightest shit ever get out of my face.
it was an anonymous tip but yeah they’re obviously increasing the risk of getting caught
THE TRUTH OF NATIVE AMERICANS BEFORE THE GENOCIDE
Gotta put this on blast.
We never needed a white savior.
I hate this country.
What I learned from this video:
- 100 million Native Americans died at the hands of white colonists
- Instead of planting crops the colonists spent their days digging random holes in the ground looking for gold. They started starving and dug up Indian corpses to eat. They took Indian prisoners and forced them to teach the colonists how to farm
- Native Americans had massive cities with tens of thousands of well constructed houses, intricate water canals and large merchant areas.
- The Native Americans used soaps, deodorants and breath sweeteners while colonists never bathed or even took of their clothes
- There was a delousing policy with the mantra Nits create Lice; nits being Native American babies, so their goal was to kill every Indian, including babies
- In the 1700’s 80% of the Federal Budget went towards eradicating the Native American population so they could take their developed farmland
- Colonists leaders went town after town killing men women and children under the approval of George Washington
- "Pursue Indians to extermination" -Thomas Jefferson
- California governor (1849-1851): “extermination must continue to be waged until the Indian becomes extinct”
The main factor which prevented Native American extinction was the fact they were used for slave labor. The most prized Native Americans were young girls who were said to be valued for labor and lust (that one white dude in your ethnic studies class that says he’s 1/36th Cherokee?)
In modern times children were forced into Indian Boarding Schools whose goal was to “Kill the Indian in them”. It was federal policy. They were beaten if they used their native tongue, they were forced to dress and style their hair like whites
This country was literally built on terrorism and mass murder. White people are savage terrorists.
Is this real? Shouldn’t there be ruins of the cities and aquaducts?
if ur first question regarding the native american genocide is “is this real?” you really should not be following my blog
I’m not doubting the genocide or government policies against Native Americans. What I meant was the cities thing. Like all the rest is blatant fact that the westerners were fucking evil, but how is the city thing real? Like did the colonists destroy the cities? This video seems mostly factual but it also seems really sensationalized.
look what I found on pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/svelteheat/maya-more-architecture/
They tried it.
—Yoko Ono (via psych-facts)